Everyone loves to look and feel good and in cases where nature isn’t on you side, makeup has proven to be the only solution to redemption. Though many people assume make up to be a lady’s “thing”,there is masculine makeup too meant for the gentle men. Make-up is all about enhancing beauty and therefore they are basically cosmetic products meant to alter the appearance or scent of one’s body however the common make up products are specific to facials. The most commonly used include lipstick, mascara, eye shadow, foundation, rouge, powder, eye pencil and many other. Unlike before where people who used make-up were looked at as “attention seekers” today almost every lady’s handbag will have two or more cosmetic products a reason that has seen a rise in the number of beauticians. In this article, we won’t look at beauticians but rather their workstations known as make-up studios. Today, make-up artists are one of the most desired professionals and which better place to look for them than at their studio. Make-up studios are places people go to to get their makeup done and h ere is a list of some of the beauty studios in Uganda.
Mona faces (Located at Crane plaza in Kisementi) this is one of the most popular studios around town. It has nothing to do with the famous monalisa painting but rather Mona make-up studio has proved the art of looking sophisticated is not acquired at birth but rather if you set your heart out to Mona studio, your face will be the banner of glamour. Recently, the studio hosted a makeup master class and from the look of things, makeup is about to become most people’s profession.
Paramour make-up studio ( at Kampala boulevard). It celebrates differences in variations of self image and identify. Their makeup is designed to inspire African women to be comfortable in their skins. It has several outlets to choose from from in Entebbe and Kampala
Serene beauty. Like their name suggests, they believe that every woman is beautiful, however they need the right touch to bring that beauty afore. Serene beauty is a salon so unlike the other studios that stop at facial makeup, it also tops up your beauty with a hairdo. Serene is best suited for wedding, introduction services and any other occasions. You can view some of their work at https://m.facebook.com/SereneBeauty/
Makeup by Olga (Located at The square, kampala). It’s here that you get to learn the language of make-up, right from the make of the studio to the accessories used on you. Olga’s makeup breaks away from the same, constant shades of make-up to something fierce yet captivating. Most of her makeup is worth a theatrical performance a reason it’s best for TV, Fashion and media. some of her works can be viewed from https://m.facebook.com/Glumlab/
FaythPresh Makeup (at Lloyds mall Entebbe). They specialise in bridal, editorial, individual, runway and special occasion makeup services. Many of the clients she has worked on will tell you is that all is well once FaythPresh touches you. Her facebeats are more of a heavenly touch. Atop her artistry services, she offers free makeup consultation once in a while to suit the customers needs and answer their queries.
Makeup by Rae( Located at Archer Road in Kololo). This artist has been christened as the lover of people’s beauty in all its forms. She keeps it simple yet exciting and captivating to look at. With make-up by Rae, you will look as natural as possible yet distinguishable. You can look at samples of her work from her social media pages.
Makeup store Uganda. This unlike the other studios is not somewhere you go to get your makeup done but rather, once you have mastered the art of doing your own make-up, this is the place to go to to purchase all sorts of makeup equipment. They mainly deal in Swedish makeup and sell in both retail and wholesale.
Nitahs Avenue (Located in kyebando) is a Ugandan based beauty specialty online retailer offering compelling beauty products,fragrances, and accessories for women and men. They specialize in US beauty brands. They also go ahead to offer delivery services.
Like I said at the start, makeup is one of the booming businesses in Uganda especially Kampala so in case you find some of these places a bit expensive, you can move to other places downtown which offer subsidised prices. These places include; gazaland plaza, Galiraya, majestic plaza and many others. You can buy the cosmetics from these shops and decide to do you makeup in your bedroom.
How to apply your own make-up
- Wash your face before applying makeup. Use a cleanser or simply splash lukewarm water on your face a few times to wash away any particles on your skin.
- Pat it dry gently with a soft towel to remove remaining water.
- Apply a moisturizer. This will help your makeup go on more easily and create a better final look.
- Apply foundation that matches the tone of your skin. If your skin is on the oily side, you might want to consider compact or powder foundation.
- Apply concealer. Choose a concealer that matches your skin tone – or, if you have dark under-eye circles, go one shade lighter.
- Apply powder. Use a powder brush to apply the powder to your face in a circular motion. This will give your face a natural-looking finish and help set your foundation so that it stays in place for long.
- Apply eyeshadow. Choose a neutral shadow pallet for a simple, everyday look. Brown, gold, grey, and blue tones are all good choices, depending on your eye color.
- From Eyeshadow, you apply eyeliner, then mascara and finally your favourite shade of lipstick.
PRO’S AND CONS OF MAKEUP
Makeup has its benefits and faults and below are some of its benefits
- It makes you presentable. It boosts beauty as well as hides lines and spots, helping the woman feel confident about her face.
- A presentable face can get you places like television.
- It gives you a confidence to make statements in public. You can hide your flaws, cover up any shortcomings and create an illusion of flawless beauty.
- Regular use of natural makeup can actually lead to better skin tone, texture and even less breakouts.
- It helps you attract, and be noticed by people just by applying your makeup expertly to show off your features to their best advantage.
- Makeup helps you look healthy and full of life. Ever gone to work without your makeup on and had people ask you whether you were sick?
- It’s time consuming. It will cost you about thirty minutes to achieve the desired perfect look.
- It makes most people loose the naturality about themselves that is, most people have become plastic especially people who use bleaching creams.
- It’s expensive. Imagine having different shades of lipstick each going for over shs.100,000. (about $30).
- It may cause health hazards such as cancer.
Well, you have it! Don’t let bad looks be your description or even at most ruin your good day. Choose from the above suggestions and be the god, goddess or princess you were made to be.